The Sierra Leone Police (SLP) have disallowed a planned protest and procession by the Citizens Advocacy Network (CAN), which was scheduled to take place on August 26, 2026.

The decision was communicated in a letter dated August 20 and addressed to CAN Executive Director Thomas Moore by the Police, informing the organisation that the proposed demonstration would not be permitted.

According to the Police, the decision followed CAN’s refusal to attend an “ethical interview” with the Inspector General of Police (IGP) scheduled for August 19. Instead, CAN had written to the Police on August 17, citing Section 17(1) of the Public Order Act No. 46 of 1965 as the legal basis for its planned protest.

The SLP said its decision was based on Section 17(2) of the same Act, which gives the Commissioner of Police the authority to prohibit a procession or impose conditions where, in the Commissioner’s view, such action is necessary in the interests of defence, public order, public safety or public morality.

The Police therefore formally informed CAN that its proposed protest and procession had been “hereby disallowed” by the Commissioner, noting that the matter had been brought to the attention of the IGP.

The SLP also cited Section 17(3) of the Public Order Act, which provides that anyone who participates in a procession that has been disallowed by the Commissioner, or fails to comply with conditions imposed on a procession, commits an offence.

Despite the prohibition, the Police said they remain committed to allowing citizens to peacefully express their views and concerns within the framework of the law.

The SLP emphasised that it would continue to balance the right to peaceful expression with its responsibility to protect public safety, maintain public order and safeguard the rights of all persons.