It is revealed to this media outlet that KADCO, a manufacturing company located at Murray Town has on the 7th September 2021 about 3:00 PM neglected an employee who had a fatal fire accident whilst on duty and was severely injured.
There is a video which clearly shows uproar on the part of the community people protesting that the victim should have been place in the jeep that was available for an urgent medical attention to have been sought but he was denied to enter the Jeep because he is a local employee. And the question posed to foreign Indian staff that were present by the mammoth crowd dominate by the youth was if it should have been their own Indian brother, was that the kind of treatment he should have been given? Their concern was however ignored after some delay and placed in an opened truck instead of given him the urgent medical attention he deserved. It was also discovered that there was negligence on the part of KADCO Company Ltd for delaying to call the National Fire Force. It is said that was another major reason why the fire escalated. But the concern the community youth were raising is the fact that if the fire should have extended to neighbouring houses as a result of the Company’s delay to intervene swiftly, that should have been a serious disaster to the households within that vicinity.
Although a lot of people were shocked when the incident occurred. This writer was informed that wrong first aid treatment was given to Michael-the victim before taken to the nearest hospital in Murray town and finally to the Connaught hospital after he has been badly affected.
When Girish; the Manager was given the right to respond, has says the employee in question was given all the attention needed and assured that the victim has been taken care of fully by the company. He affirmed that when the incident occurred, Michael was immediately taken to the nearest hospital in Murray town for first aid treatment before he was later taken to Connaught hospital for proper treatment. He also sated that “all the expenses so far have fully been borne by the company.
He affirmed that when the incident occurred, Michael was immediately taken to the nearest hospital in Murray town for first aid treatment before he was later taken to the Connaught hospital for proper treatment. He stated that “all the expenses so far have fully been borne by the company. I therefore cannot understand where the company go wrong to warrant such wicked and baseless accusations. You may wish also to talk to the employee in question at the Connaught hospital for confirmation or not of your allegations”.
After the aforementioned issues being put forward to Girish, he was still asking this writer where he does the fault lies on the part of KADCO.