A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) has been signed between political parties and relevant stakeholders ahead of Saturday 26 March 2022 Bye-Elections in Kailahun Constituency 005 and Port Loko Constituency 073.
Following the death of the substantive Member of Parliament in Constituency 073 in Port Loko district and Constituency 005 in Kailahun District, the Electoral Commission (EC) declared the seat vacant and announced a date for a byeelection to fill that vacancy slated for Saturday 26th March, 2022.
Consequently, in the bid to promote political tolerance and the peaceful conduct of the bye-election, the Political Parties Registration Commission (PPRC), contesting Political Parties and their Candidate and relevant stakeholders hereby subscribe to the following;
1. That the candidate shall vote and go home thereafter. No candidate shall be allowed to move around the Ward on polling day after voting;
2. That we shall individually, collectively and actively promote tolerance and condemn any act of violence and intimidation by our supporters and members before, during and after the polling day;
3. That we commit to respect the will of the people and to accept the result of the election and further, to graciously concede defeat provided the elections are transparent, free and fair;
4. That in the event of just cause to reject the result of the election, we shall use due process to register our complaints and shall resort to peaceful and legal means to redress our grievances;
5. That all political actors, party stalwarts and non-accredited individuals who are not ordinarily resident nor eligible to vote in Constituency 073 in Port Loko district and Constituency 005 in Kailahun District must not be seen within the precinct of the Polling Centers;
6. That our political stalwarts who are not assigned to polling centers shall not invade the polling centers, obstruct or disrupt the electoral process;
7. That our leaders, candidates, members, and supporters shall refrain from wearing campaign materials or political colors on polling day;
8. That our supporters (voters) shall retire to their homes peacefully after casting their votes;
9. That we shall continue to uphold all the commitments in the Codes of Conduct for Political Party Candidates and Supporters;
10. That senior party members who are not members of the National, Eastern Region and North West Region Executives of their party are not permitted to go in and stay within Constituency 073 in Port Loko district and Constituency 005 in Kailahun District during the campaign period and polling day except if they are residents or descendants of the said Constituencies;
11. That obscene and insulting songs directed at opponents and other political parties are not allowed to be sung during the campaign trails and on polling day;
12. That we commit to restrain our supporters and members not to destroy the campaign materials of the opponent;
13. That we undertake to partake in the PPRC peace ride of all the Candidates on the cooling off day;
14. That twelve accredited representatives for each political party to be conveyed in not more than three vehicles, with not more than four persons per vehicle aside from the driver and security.
ELECTORAL COMMISSION (EC)
1. That staff members of EC shall create a conducive environment and a level playing field for all contesting parties;
2. That staff members of EC shall display high-level of professionalism in the discharge of their duties in line with Sections 32 & 33 of the 1991 Constitution of Sierra Leone and the Public Elections Act of 2012;
3. That EC shall preside over the conduct of the election without any Interference or undue influence from election observers, political party stalwarts or party agents.
1. That the Security Sector shall ensure that on-lookers are 100 meters away from the polling centers;
2. That the Security Sector shall enforce the ban on the display of secret society before, during and after the election;
3. That the Security Sector shall provide adequate security and create a level playing field for all political parties, candidates, and supporters;
4. That Security Personnel shall conduct themselves in a professional manner in the discharge of their duties;
5. That the Security Sector shall restrict the movement of non-accredited high-profile politicians, non-voters and unauthorized persons within and outside the polling centers.