A pupil of the Saint Edward’s Secondary School Abdul Alpha Turay, and a security guard Amara Sesay, have been remanded in prison over the alleged murder of Amara Mansaray.

The accused persons appeared before Magistrate Sahr Kekura at the Pademba Road Court No. 1 in Freetown, facing charges of murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

According to the charge sheet, it was alleged that on Wednesday, 10th April 2024, at Coke Drive, Off Regent Road, Lumley, in Freetown, the accused conspired with others to murder Amara Mansaray.

During their first court appearance, the duo did not enter a plea as they were undergoing a preliminary investigation.

In his testimony, the first prosecution witness, Abdul Abdel Kargbo, a pupil and cousin to the deceased, recalled the events of April 10th, 2024. Kargbo stated that around 5 am, he encountered the first accused at Sheriff Drive Junction, a common hangout spot.

Kargbo testified that the first accused, Abdul Alpha Turay, accused the deceased of stealing two bunches of wood and instructed him to return them. “I heard the first accused shouting ‘thief!’ at the deceased,” Kargbo said. This outburst attracted people from the locality, who began beating the deceased. The deceased sought refuge at a nearby mosque, but the caretaker forced him out.

While at the junction, another friend informed them that the deceased had died. Kargbo, the first accused, and others then went to the crime scene near the mosque at Sheriff Drive.

“On our arrival, I ran to call a relative, and we returned to the scene. While we were there, a police van arrived. The first accused and the caretaker tried to flee but were arrested and taken to Lumley Police Station, where I made a statement,” Kargbo narrated.

During cross-examination by lawyer D. Barrie, representing the first accused, Kargbo confirmed that his knowledge of the events was based on what the first accused had told him. When asked if he saw the accused beating the deceased, Kargbo replied in the negative.

Lawyer Sigismund Conteh, representing the second accused, did not cross-examine the witness. The case was adjourned to Thursday, June 6th, 2024, for further hearing.